Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Before the Bull

So this is what I had to paint up last night for the CCAD Illustration Workshop Class. It was completed on a very tight timeframe, and at this point I swear it's the only way I can get my brain in gear. I've come to the conclusion, that I enjoy tight deadlines. Bit masochistic I guess, but I just like the silence of the night and the 4:00 am Mcdonald's breakfast trips. Working on something during the regular daylight hours just feels... wrong.

And I have an excuse to drink an unhealthy amount of coffee.

Story on this one was that we had to take our character concept we had done previously, and relate it to the Haiti Disaster. It was an odd one, very odd. I kept it simple though, since my character is placed in time quite a bit after the disaster. Not to mention I didn't feel quite right putting my character there in a mocking way. I tend to live in a box, and check the news every long once in awhile with no tv, and any reading time going to books or fun stuff like cracked and science/tech, not counting the infinite loop of wikipedia. So when I finally did see photos, it was the day before he gave the "twist" of the assignment, since when we designed the characters we didn't know the second part of it, and they weren't the easiest photos to look at to say the least. This was my solution. I wouldn't mind getting some more arena equipment in there and solve some outstanding issues, but for now it's off of the queue and on to something else.

3 comments:

Melisa Des Rosiers said...

I second all that you say about tight deadline! Especially the unhealthy amount of coffee consumption. XD

And very nice illustration. I like the painterly feeling and the angle/composition is welcoming.

Simone said...

This is quite beautiful.

Unknown said...

Totally awesome mate,

And what you are saying about working in daylight is true, Nothing beets the silent of the night while working on an illustration !

-Brun